Pecky's Vauxhall Decoder

Vehicle
    N/A

Astra H Z16XER engine limp mode activators

Hi,

Probably a bit of an unusual request, but does anybody know if there are any dead certain engine limp mode "activators" or scenarios with regard to the Z16xer engine.

To cut a very long story short, my son and I race full contact 1600cc stock cars and after years of building Honda Civics, have decided to give the mk5 Astra a try - they are ALOT harder (built) than Civics.

The aim is to keep the factory ignition and injection system, rather than just whack on a different inlet mani and carbs etc. But the entire car has to be stripped back to bare essentials. Which of course is quite difficult with this car because of the need to retain certain modules.

We've now got the car to the point where almost all cabin wiring has been removed, apart from the SRS module and wiring to it, the IPC, the CIM, the electronic throttle and the fuel pump.

The entire ABS system, the air con system, the EPS pump, all crash sensors and airbags have been removed. The next stage is to start looking at what can come out under the bonnet without putting the car into limp mode.

Removing the primary 02 sensor seems fine, but I haven't yet removed the secondary (post cat) and anticipate this one may cause a problem. Does anybody know if removing the alternator could potentially put the ecu into limp mode? I imagine the IPC may pick up from the alternator for the rpm signal, if this is the case, the ecu probably also gets the same signal from there?

Apologies for the possibly silly questions. I have had no luck in sourcing a decent wiring diagram so far, so thought I would try and pick some brains.

Or has anybody already done this with the Astra H / know anybody that has?

Thanks for your time.

Kieran

• Advertising

advertising
      Diagnostics.org.uk
      has no influence
      on advertisments
      that are displayed by
      Google Adsense

Vehicle
      Opel Astra H OPC
      It is not the case just about sensors being present. There are various thresholds configured in ECU monitoring health of sensors and the engine and for example removing primary O2 sensors does not immediately trigger limp mode but driving the car or reaching a certain load will definitely trigger it.
      Modifying the mapping can get rid of most of this protection parameters bu you will need a Funktionsrahmen document for that ECU and a very experienced tuner.

Vehicle
      N/A
      Thank you for taking time to reply.

Yes this is what I was thinking to be honest. Because alone by removing the entire ABS wiring, this means there is no speed sensor, so we were expecting to encounter limp mode from this alone for certain. Unless the car is already in limp mode and I don't realise it!

What is limp mode like on 1.6 petrol Astra H? Is is very restrictive in engine revs and forward speed? Obviously we have the spanner light on the cluster, but the car still seems quite responsive to be honest.

We were testing with what I think is quite alot of load on Sunday afternoon for a few hours (luckily the workshop is on a farm with a very long gated road) and then we took it out again for about an hour of runs. I will try and put a link to a short video to show the behavior of the car, to see if this looks possibly already in limp mode?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9Yc...ature=youtu.be

I did wonder if some of the protection could be mapped out by a good tuner, but my initial searches don't really uncover anything advertised for companies tuning this Simtec 75.5 ecu. Although I must admit that I haven't searched very hard on this yet, but maybe I will be forced into searching a bit harder if it turns out the car is already in limp mode - or if it goes into limp mode when the secondary 02 sensor and alternator are removed.