I want to have a play about and see if i can get the security codes for things i plan to buy to upgrade my car (meriva B, 2011), buying the parts from scrapyards so they will not be divorced or owt.

I've only played about with arduino's with regards to programming, and i guess sort of flashing chips in that respect... but i've never used a clip on IC reader or owt, and i see so many complaints of cheap IC clips erasing the eeproms due to bad connections etc.

Can someone give me a fairly cheap, but not nasty dodgy cheap recomendation for an eeprom reading and flashing kit... and software, only interested in the eeproms found in vauxhall items... infotainment system, IPC etc.

i will only be doing my own parts, no interest in doing this for others, it's just a hobby to me.

i have a tiny bit of experience with SMD soldering, used a hot air reflow system once.. but a small soldering iron and solder wick and a flux pen will be my method to remove and refit eeproms that need to come off to be flashed....

i'm getting ahead of myself now.. on an australian forum where they mess about with eeprom changes to make things do stuff they shouldnt, they mention applying 9 volts to the power input of the board the eeprom is on to flash it incircuit... but it has to be done quick as it overheats the programmer if left powered and the ic clip connected too long... any thoughts on that...

they also mention flashing the eeproms and reading them over the GMlan (pin 1 obdii port) using the 11 bit commands... normal coms goes over the 29 bit one... i'm really out of my depth now tho