Pecky's Vauxhall Decoder

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Vehicle
    Zafira B (57)

Front Fog Lamp wiring

Front fog lamps do seem to be available on cars with and without a REC, but the wiring is different depending on which you have.

Here is the wiring diagram for cars with a REC.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fog_f_rec.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	466

Here is the wiring diagram for cars without a REC.

Name:	fog_f_norec.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	467

K39 is a relay that may be found in the boot where the REC would have been, presumably only on cars with front fog lamps as standard.

Name:	k39_relay.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	468

This diagram also shows fuse 51 (15A) which provides the feed for the fog lamps - it's on the left sandwiched between fuse 52 and 56, but again, presumably only on cars with front fog lamps as standard.

Here is an actual photo from a car with no REC and no factory fitted front fog lamps.

Name:	no_rec_pic.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	469

Note that the following seem to be missing totally:

Row 1 - F51 relay (front fog)
    Row 2 - K39 relay (front fog)
    Row 3 - Fuse F55 (rear electric windows)
    Row 4 - K5 relay (air con compressor, diesel w/o REC)
    Row 4 - F50 fuse (air con compressor, diesel w/o REC)

Which only leaves:

Row 1 - F52 fuse (15A) - accessory socket (X112TR) at the right rear of the car
    Row 1 - F56 fuse (15A) - accessory socket (X112) near the hand brake
    Row 3 - K71 relay - reversing lamp
    Row 3 - F57 fuse (7.5A) - rear lamps (inc reversing) and central locking
    Row 5 - K56 relay - rear wiper
    Row 5 - F54 fuse (30A) - front electric windows
    Row 5 - F53 fuse (7.5A) - outside mirror
    Last edited by cross-keys; 4th March 2012 at 12:18 PM.

• Advertising

advertising
      Diagnostics.org.uk
      has no influence
      on advertisments
      that are displayed by
      Google Adsense

Vehicle
      Zafira B (57)
      I'm starting to think that retrofitting front fog lamps to non-REC Zafira Bs isn't possible. There seems to be no wiring in place, and no means of adding it because the pins in the Underhood Electrical Centre have been assigned to something else. I don't even think you could make up your own system with a custom loom and relay(s) as the foglamp switch should tell the computer to turn the lamps on, and it then does so - so you're stuffed!

There appears to have been cars made with no REC but with front fog lamps, but if yours was made without, then the wiring/relays etc don't seem to be there.

Vehicle
      Insignia 2.0 Biturbo 4x4
      Someone once said that AFL's weren't retrofittable and I proved that wrong.

The input to the relay is the wire which goes from the Instrument, so it is this that sends the signal to turn on the fog lamps.

The power to the fuse & relay (which need adding) is spliced off the 6mm red cable feeding the other fuses, which ends up at Fuse 54.

You then run cables from the relay to each bulb holder, the other side of the bulb holder goes to ground, which you could put them to a chassis earth, for which there are plenty in the engine compartment.

Looks perfectly possible to me to add the wiring, the only possible complication is I don;t know if all clocks support the front fogs or if you need different ones.
      Richard Peck
      www.diagnostics.org.uk

Availability & bookings here

Insignia 2.0 Bi-Turbo 4x4. AFL, Sport Leather Pack, Embedded Bluetooth, DAB, Navi 900, Infinity Sound, 20" Alloys, VXR Styling pack, Dual Climate, TPMS, Power fold mirrors, electric rear windows, Sight & Light Pack, Front & Rear Parking Sensors

Vehicle
      Zafira B (57)
      Cool! - I'll run with the idea a little longer then.

Here's the circuit for the switch which controls the front fogs:

Name:	fog_f_sw.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	470

There needs to be a Grey/Blue wire going from the switch S122.5, to the instrument panel P3. This sends the signal that we want the fog lamps on or off. I know this is present on my vehicle as I documented this previously in the knowledge base.

The feed from the instrument panel to the relay coil is found at P3 pin 13, and a Brown/White wire should lead to X1 pin 9, which is apparently somewhere on the passenger side of the car.

If a connection can be picked up from here, then this could feed an aftermarket relay mounted in a convenient location. The remainder of the fog lamp wiring could be custom-built and need not follow any other diagrams.

Next job for me would be to search out X1 (pin 9 - Brown/White). The diagram says it's here:

Name:	x1_location.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	471

Is that to the rear of the back door?
      Last edited by cross-keys; 4th March 2012 at 06:56 PM.

Vehicle
      Insignia 2.0 Biturbo 4x4
      Just wire straight through from point to point, don't worry about intermediate connectors like X1, they are there to make car assembly easier with the various options.

I was going to suggest mounting the relay behind the glovebox, you just need to mount the relay and fuse on one of those holders like at the back.

You will also find the 6mm power cable passing through below the passenger door cill.
      Richard Peck
      www.diagnostics.org.uk

Availability & bookings here

Insignia 2.0 Bi-Turbo 4x4. AFL, Sport Leather Pack, Embedded Bluetooth, DAB, Navi 900, Infinity Sound, 20" Alloys, VXR Styling pack, Dual Climate, TPMS, Power fold mirrors, electric rear windows, Sight & Light Pack, Front & Rear Parking Sensors

Vehicle
      Zafira B (57)
      Sounds like a plan! I guess one of the next steps would be to get sight of the 42-pin connector that connects to instrument panel P3. I'm confident that pin 28 (Grey/Blue) will be there, but I don't know what I will find in position pin 13 - possibly either a Brown/White wire on its way to connector X1, or an empty hole!

I'll check the glovebox location while I'm at it too

Vehicle
      Astra MK5
      So did we get any further with this i have an astra with no rec but i do seem to have the required relays and fuses fitted but no wiring for the actual fogs

Vehicle
      Astra MK5
      And yes i am aware this thread is quiet old lol just wondering what i need to add to get these working

Vehicle
      Astra H
      Hi, i dont know if its too late to ask that, but i have a question.
      First of all, im from Spain so maybe my English is so bad.
      I have an Astra H GTC 1.6, and i dont have REC, i was trying to retrofit a front fog ligths, i bought a relay and a fuse, and i wired all, the only problem is the cable that goes to pin 9 in x1 does nothing, it doesnt matter if i put ON the front fog, this doesnt activate the relay, so i dont really know what to do now.

Vehicle
      Opel Astra H
      Do you have wiring between instrument and fog lamp relay via X1?
      Does the relay have power to pins 30 and 86?
      Have you program front fog light present?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast