Pecky's Vauxhall Decoder

Vehicle
    Zafira B (57)

Sussing out the check control wiring

I'm trying to fit check control to my Zafira B, but am having some problems with working out what the electrics are doing.

I cannot find a sensor plug for the washer bottle sensor (as expected), nor can I find one for the coolant level sensor.

From searching around the web, I believe that the coolant connection is pin 10 on the top (X2) multipole connector and the washer connection is pin 16 on the left (X1) connector (as viewed when looking under the bonnet). On a related note, I've heard that the front foglamps are connected to pin 48 and pin 49 on connector X1.

However, when I look at the connectors, there are already connections on X2 pin 10 (Green/Blue), X1 pin 16 (Brown/Grey) and X1 pin 48 (Red/Blue). There is no connection to X1 pin 49.

Here's a pic of the underside of the fusebox.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fusebox_pins.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	441

Here's connector X1.

Name:	x1_pins.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	442

Name:	x1_conn.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	443

- and the wire relating to the washer sensor (Brown/Grey)

Name:	x1_wires_washer.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	447

and the fog lamps I believe (Red/Blue)

Name:	x1_wires_fog.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	448

and here's X2.

Name:	x2_pins.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	444

Name:	x2_conn.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	445

- and the wire relating to the coolant sensor (Green/Blue)

Name:	x2_wires.jpg 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	449

and for completeness, the pin out for X3.

Name:	x3_pins.jpg 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	446

although I don't believe this connector is of interest for this modification.

Anyway, my next move is to check through the wiring diagrams to see if I can shed any further light on all this!

• Advertising

advertising
      Diagnostics.org.uk
      has no influence
      on advertisments
      that are displayed by
      Google Adsense

Vehicle
      Insignia 2.0 Biturbo 4x4
      I've put the connector pinouts here http://www.diagnostics.org.uk/help/s...ctrical-Centre

It does show both the colours you are expecting and the ones you want at the same pin, and both are listed as having REC, which can't be correct looking at what they do.

Question is, do you have a REC in the boot?

Vehicle
      Zafira B (57)
      OK - this isn't looking to promising at the moment

Starting with the washer sensor, I checked the wiring diagram.

This shows the washer fluid sensor (S255) is connected to XE1 (X1 on the front fuse box) pin 16 with a green/white wire.

It also shows the coolant level switch (S84) is connected to XE2 pin 10 with a brown/green wire.

Name:	sensors1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	454

However, on my Zafira, which is a '57' and has no Rear Electrical Centre (REC), I can see that I already have a connection going to XE1 pin 16 (Brown/Grey) and another going to XE2 pin 10 (Green/Blue).

Now for the worrying bit!

If I check "System Index - Stop Lamp Switch", I find the following diagram:

Name:	stop_lamp_sw.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	457

This seems to show that on cars with a REC, the Stop Lamp Switch Signal connects from the Rear Electronic Module (X131) via connector XR5 pin 55, with a Brown/Grey wire.

However, the diagram also seems to show that on cars WITHOUT a REC, the Stop Lamp Switch Signal connects from the Underhood Electronic Module (X125) via connector XE1 pin 16, also with a Brown/Grey wire.

That's the pin I wanted to use for the washer fluid sensor, but they've reassigned it to be for the stop lamp switch signal - and the wire on my loom IS Brown/Grey, which is the stop lamp switch signal colour!

Vehicle
      Zafira B (57)
      Quote Originally Posted by pecky View Post
      I've put the connector pinouts here http://www.diagnostics.org.uk/help/s...ctrical-Centre

It does show both the colours you are expecting and the ones you want at the same pin, and both are listed as having REC, which can't be correct looking at what they do.

Question is, do you have a REC in the boot?
      Many thanks for doing those - the connector pin-outs are just what I needed!

It looks as if I'm in trouble with this as my car has no REC, so the two pins I wanted to use have been reassigned for something else.

Realistically I think that means I'm going to have to conjure up some other method of indication for those two sensors

I do believe that the front foglamps are still an option, as there is space in the non-REC panel at the back for a front foglamp relay, however it won't be using XE1 pins 48 and 49, as pin 48 is being used for "Electronic Control Unit 12 Volt Reference" with a Red/Blue wire .....

Oh boy!!
      Last edited by cross-keys; 4th March 2012 at 10:43 AM.

Vehicle
      Zafira B (57)
      Hi Richard,

From what you've read on here, do you think the check control feeds into the computer aren't going to happen on my non-REC vehicle?

I was giving up on the idea of the foglamps, but you've persuaded me to stick at it.

I will do something useful with the sensors I've fitted, even if I can't use them in the way I had originally hoped.

Do you have a source for the connectors that plug into them? I should order a couple up and make up a loom to feed something.

Thanks once again for everything!

S

Vehicle
      Insignia 2.0 Biturbo 4x4
      Jury's still out on the check control, the bit I did look at would suggest it may not be possible. The sensors are just a simple switch, so you could wire them to do anything, although you need to bear in mind that they report low levels when the circuit is broken

I may well be able to help you out with the connectors, need to look in my lucky dip bag of loom connectors, but I'm pretty sure I have a couple. I will need to check but I think it is the same connector as the level switch.

I can see no reason at all why the fog lights would not work.
      Richard Peck
      www.diagnostics.org.uk

Availability & bookings here

Insignia 2.0 Bi-Turbo 4x4. AFL, Sport Leather Pack, Embedded Bluetooth, DAB, Navi 900, Infinity Sound, 20" Alloys, VXR Styling pack, Dual Climate, TPMS, Power fold mirrors, electric rear windows, Sight & Light Pack, Front & Rear Parking Sensors