Pecky's Vauxhall Decoder

Vehicle
    Astra 1.6 SRI

Retrofitting CC to Astra 1.6 16V 3dr SRI with an A16XER engine?

Hi,

This is my first post about anything 'Astra' anywhere, I've tried to do my homework and find the answers for myself before asking the following likely repetitive and stupid questions so apologies in advance but there does seem to be a lot of conflicting information about what can and can't be done, not to mention how it should be done, when it comes to Astra's.

I bought a 2011 registered 3dr petrol 1.6 16v Astra SRI today that's definitely a MK5 but I'm confused about the engine version and whether retrofitting cruise control would even be possible because of the engine?

The Car Pass identifies the engine as an A16XER but I can't seem to find any information or discussion anywhere (here and elsewhere) that mentions retrofitting cruise control to an Astra H 3d 1.6 SRI with an A16XER engine so I'm hoping that someone here can help clarify whether it is or not.

Daft question number 2, I understand that a 'VVT' engine has Variable Valve Timing and a 'Twinport' engine regulates the inlet and/or exhaust ports... but to physically look at them is there an easy way to tell which is which without relying on engine numbers?... I now haven't a clue which one the A16XER is?

Daft questions aside, I can't for the life of me find anyone anywhere near Edinburgh who says it's possible to retrofit cruise control to my Astra.

Assuming it is possible, I'll be in Corby visiting family early November so if there's anyone within about 75 miles of Corby who can do this please PM me, goes without saying that i'll pay for labour and parts... I already know the part numbers for clutch switch and stalk assuming they're the same as for the Z16XER (and are required) so I can supply them.

Regards.

• Advertising

advertising
      Diagnostics.org.uk
      has no influence
      on advertisments
      that are displayed by
      Google Adsense

Vehicle
      Astra 1.6 SRI
      Just a quick follow up, Vauxhall Dalgety Bay (Peter Vardy) have said they can fit CC to my SRI for £112.20 inc VAT. That includes £64.20 for the stalk and £48 for programming, they seemed confident a clutch switch would already be fitted but if it wasn't it would be about £12 to fir that on top.

Probably not the cheapest but I can live with the price.

Vehicle
      Peugeot Expert
      Get yourself a stalk and clutch switch of ebay
      Dont want to recommend but get an opcom device and job done will work out around £80 plus your time

There can be missing wire from passenger kickpanel to fuse box under bonnet aswell as cable behind instrument cluster.
      There arent any guides because these cars uses electrically controlled throtle so there arent any cables.

Easyest way to tell difference between a16xer and z16xep is air intake
      Z16xep has air intake and throtle body on top of engine near ecu

Z16xep

A16xer

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Vehicle
      Peugeot Expert
      And check this guide
      http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co....ctures.249896/

It doesnt say anything about connector behind speedo but if you already got clutch swith you dont need to worry about it

Vehicle
      Astra 1.6 SRI
      Thanks for the info domtorredo, I've been looking at opcom devices and the software and will likely buy them when the limited (3 month) dealer warranty expires on the car.

Actually, I'd buy them now and do it myself but I have a beast worse than any dealership threatening me with life ending consequences if I get it wrong and she can't see her family next Sunday because I break the car, a wife

Fwiw, since my initial post I've stuck my head in the drivers footwell and pressed the clutch pedal, it makes the same clicking sound at the start of travel as the brake pedal so I'm reasonably confident the clutch switch is present... if there's a wire missing then I presume any additional cost by the vauxhall dealer would be minimal.

Thanks again.

Vehicle
      Peugeot Expert
      If clutch switch is there than wiring must be in place. Once you will get opcom you can check it without dissambling anything.
      So than it should be easy fit for you - swap stalk and program

Vehicle
      Astra 1.6 SRI
      Cruise Control was retrofitted today by the Vauxhall dealer I mentioned above, there was no additional work required, just a straight stalk swap and programme.

They tried to charge me £130'ish instead of the £112.20 I was quoted but when questioned they said someone must have made a mistake and I should only be getting charged the £112.20 (and as if by magic the original quote appeared from a drawer!)... genuine mistake or trying to pull a fast one, I don't know? But they didn't argue when I said I was quoted £112.20 so I'm happy with the result.