Pecky's Vauxhall Decoder

Vehicle
    zafira b

engine flush worth it??

Trying to diagnose a ticking engine. Hoping it might be a gunky engine as it hasn't had an oil change for about 20.000 miles. Is an engine flush worth it to clear the gunge and to unblock the pipes?

• Advertising

advertising
      Diagnostics.org.uk
      has no influence
      on advertisments
      that are displayed by
      Google Adsense

Got recommended to do it on my last car but heard bad things...if you think this could help id change the oil now and again in couple of months thats a labricant and should losen any gunk thats built up...

If its anything like my engine was/is. It only ticks when its low on oil, and also I did an engline flush on my engine at abaout 130,000 miles & nothing came out lol, just obviously black oil, no gunge or anything, but you have to bear in mind, if its a high mileage engine, like mine lol, then the gunk could be holding it all together. not sure if this makes sense, just a bit of a heads up I think lol. Matt

Vehicle
      zafira b
      Just turned 80,000 miles so not too high mileage. Decided against it now and new oil is in.lol will see if they will do a refund for it the ticking I've got sounds like the inlet manifold so got to find someone who knows what they are doing to take it off and have a look. Apparently the z16xep suffers from noisy or loose something or other inside the inlet

If anyone on here knows what to do I'll pay the going rate for labour

I change my oil and filter every 8,000 miles roughly with engine flush BUT I have been doing it from a low mileage. At work we use the stuff and have never had any problems. However as @matty says on high mileage engines it could if strong enough, remove the build up of tarnish on the crank bearings thus could result in the big ends to knock and from around the piston skirt and oil control rings and get piston slap too. At the end of the day take heed of what advice you get. ....

You will probably find its ticking because of the cracked manifold!

Got a cracked exhaust manifold? That ticks.

Vehicle
      zafira b
      It's 2 different noises. There is a tap at idle coming from top of engine and an obvious exhaust blowing note at low revs which is the manifold. Oil change not cured tap as far as I can tell either. Will be patching manifold in the morning