Pecky's Vauxhall Decoder

Question Flywheel possible issue, wear and tear OR manufacturing default?

Hi, I have a Vauxhall Zafira 2007 mileage just passed 90k it's a Sri CDTI (150) model. In good working order no serious issues part from the following:

On start up there is a loud clonking noise only for a slips second as car is turning over, the car starts up every time however the noise is excessive. It makes the noise every time, the AA have said possible flywheel and Vauxhall also confirmed it could possibly be the issue.

Now my warranty company have said I have to authorise 3 hours to access the fly wheel to confirm the issue, and they will send an engineer to confirm status. They have said if it is wear and tear they will not cover neither the 3 hours or repair, however if it is a manufacturing default they will cover costs.

Obviously I don't expect anyone to be able to tell me without looking but has anyone had a previous experience in this matter because I don't want to pay 3 hours vauxhall prices to tell me I have to pay an additional £900!. Also if I was to leave the car would it be a big issue after long?

Would appreciate any advice guys.

• Advertising

advertising
      Diagnostics.org.uk
      has no influence
      on advertisments
      that are displayed by
      Google Adsense

If its only just started making the noise then you should be ok for a while, it will be considered wear and tear, its a common fault on all 1.9 CDTI 150's in various models, mine needs doing too and im at 85k.

I have heard of some extended warranty companies covering this sort of thing, but its wrong of them to make you pay upfront to have it checked out without any promise of covering the work afterwards. IF that was me id be asking what's the point of having an extended warranty?

You can get and new flywheel clutch and slave cylinder (they all should be changed together to save money down the road) fitted for £600-700, mines being booked in at A1 clutches to be done with LUK parts for £620.

Stay away from a1 clutches i had 2 in 2 days on my old fiesta.. They get you in with the cheap prices! Then mess.. Just a heads up from what ive experienced mate

Vehicle
      Mokka
      Hello everybody.

Konrad i have had the exact same issue as yourself. Mine was really bad and really loud. specially as you just start to engaged the clutch. Car had only done 65000 Miles.

Any way i had the flywheel, clutch and slave cylinder done for around £600. i only used cheap parts as im getting new car in April. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-OEM-SA...item1e75e5cc51

and as Jay has said stay away from A1 Clutches. Did my dads old L200 a few years back and used a recon Clutch when paid for new and did a **** job.

Vehicle
      Astra TT 1.9 CDTI (150)

Flywheel possible issue, wear and tear OR manufacturing default?

Afternoon Konrad.

Vehicle
      Astra SRi XP
      I wouldn't bother with the 3 hours to strip off at VX prior to investigation. As above, it'll be 'wear and tear'

Just go to a reputable garage to get it changed

Agree, have also herd stories about a1 clutches. Price seems to good to be true but you get shoddy work !

Vehicle
      astra mk5 1.7 cdti
      Quote Originally Posted by wharton View Post
      Agree, have also herd stories about a1 clutches. Price seems to good to be true but you get shoddy work !
      very bad things..more like BUL***** clutches

Vehicle
      Various
      A1 clutches did my mates astra a few years ago. It come back with the radiator cooling fan permanently on..