Pecky's Vauxhall Decoder

Vehicle
    Astra 1.9 16v CDTi SRi XP+ Power Red Estate

1.9CDTi Swirl Flaps - What, Where, Why and How Much?

The number of enquiries regarding the swirl flaps on the 1.9 CDTi 16V engines (engine codes Z19DTH and Z19DTJ) seem to be on the increase. This post aims to answer most of the commonly asked questions about these parts.

What are swirl flaps?

The swirl flaps are small, square pieces of metal that are mounted in several ports of the intake manifold. There are two possible positions for these to be in - across the port, which blocks the flow of air into the engine - or inline with the port which allows air to flow into the engine.

There are two ports for each cylinder on the 1.9CDTi through which air can flow into the engine. One introduces a 'swirl' motion to the air as it enters the cylinder. This swirl ensures the fuel burns more evenly and thoroughly, reducing emissions and producing more power. The other port is a more direct path into the cylinder, which allows maximum air flow for greater power at high revs and a more freely revving engine.

(Diagram from Pierburg service information bulletin SI0093)

At low revs, the 'direct' port must be closed or blocked by the flap, otherwise all of the fuel injected into the cylinder will not be burnt, meaning increased smoke and soot from the exhaust. This is because the incoming air has insufficient 'swirl', as the air takes the easier path into the engine through the 'direct' port that should be blocked off.

At high revs, both ports are open to allow the maximum amount of air into the cylinder. If the swirl flap remains closed, the air charge in the cylinder is reduced, causing more black smoke and reduced performance.

A motor is mounted underneath the manifold that operates the swirl flaps - it moves the flap on no.3 cylinder directly, a rod on top of the manifold transfers this motion to the other cylinders.

Why do the swirl flaps fail?

Due to the EGR valve that is fitted to the majority of modern diesel engines, a proportion of exhaust gas is recycled back through the engine to reduce emissions. This means the soot that is present in the exhaust gas coats all of the components in the intake manifold. This soot mixes with oil mist that is also found in the intake system, and forms a tar like substance.

The build-up of tar and soot causes the flaps to stick. The bearings the flaps run in also wear due to uneven loading. Eventually, the excess load on the operating rod and ball joints cause them to become oval shaped and loose, leading to the operating rod coming adrift.

Due to the wear in the bearings, pressurised air from the manifold can escape, along with soot and oil mist, leading to reduced performance and also an oily mess on the manifold.

I've found the operating rod adrift from the swirl flaps - what now?

You can refit the rod to the swirl flaps, but if it has got to the stage where it is falling off by itself, due to vibration from the engine, it will not stay on for long.

A temporary repair can be made by sticking rubber washers onto the underside of the cups on the operating rod. The hole in the middle of the washers are sized so they are a push-fit over the ball-joints on the swirl flaps. This makes the operating rod a much more secure fit, but still allows free movement. See this thread for one possible fix.

In the long term, the only permanent fix is to replace the complete intake manifold assembly. The manufacturer of the manifold (Pierburg) has made modification to the bearings in which the swirl flaps move - this should result in increased lifespan of the manifold, and prevent future recurrence of the problem. Time will tell!

How do I know if I have a 'modified' inlet manifold?

Somewhere on the manifold, should be a barcoded sticker which shows the manufacturers part number of the manifold.

The original part number is 7.0186.00.0 or 7.00373.1.0.0

The modified part number is 7.00373.12.0

What are other symptoms of failed swirl flaps?

Engine management light may be on, and the following codes may be stored:-

P1109 Swirl Actuator Malfunction
    Cause:- Stiff/sticking swirl flaps overloading or stalling the drive module motor.

P2279 - Intake system air leak detected
    Cause:- Charge air pressure in manifold leaking through worn swirl flap bearings.

There may be other symptoms whilst driving, such as lumpy running, hesitation and poor fuel economy, and an oily fume smell inside the car whilst the engine is running.

What's it going to cost to fix?

Vauxhall Part numbers and prices.

Below is the list of parts required under the TSB (technical service bulletin) and current retail prices (+ VAT).

1 x Manifold - 55210201 £197
    1 x Manifold Gasket - 93179058 £12.90
    1 x EGR gasket - 93181665 £2.80
    1 x Throttle body gasket - 55205453 £2.01
    1 x Swirl actuator - 55205127 £159
    1 x Sealer/Locking compound - 90542117 £9.55
    1 x Actuator arm - 93186274 £6.50
    1 x HP fuel pipe - 55215517 £30.75
    1 x HP pump pulley nut - 93178824 £2.63
    1 x HP pump pulley washer - 93178879 £0.12
    12 x Manifold nuts - 93178880 £0.35 each

Total is £635.04 retail with VAT

Mainfolds often come up for sale on eBay at between £150 and £170+postage.

Labour

The official Vauxhall labour time to replace the intake manifold is 3 hours. More labour may be charged if the cambelt is changed at the same time.

Assuming a typical labour rate of £70 per hour+VAT

(3 * 70) + 17.5% = £246.75 inc VAT.

Total including parts and labour - £746.17 inc VAT.

Further Information

The manufacturer of the intake manifold, Pierburg, has produced a technical service bulletin regarding the issues with the swirl flaps.

This bulletin can be found at http://www.ms-motor-service.com/ximages ... en_web.pdf

• Advertising

advertising
      Diagnostics.org.uk
      has no influence
      on advertisments
      that are displayed by
      Google Adsense

Hi everyone,

when I thought I had been through most of the failures of my Astra H (M32 gearbox, power steering, generator, etc.) and just had a new toothbelt fitted, the car reported an error message. Before it had already been a bit slower than usual, and fuel consumption had increased.
      I took the car to the next dealership, and they showed me that the swirl operating rod had come off. I got a quote of € 1100 plus VAT.

When looking at the plastic bushings of the rod I realized that they had not worn in the direction of operation. Also the swirl flaps did have some play, but moved freely, so apparently the bushings had worn mostly just because the rod sits at a slightly tilted position. Therefore I replaced the plastic bushings with some brass bushings I had made, and of course I also cleaned the EGR and manifold pressure sensor. Ever since the car runs fine and has done more than 20000km / 15000mi over the last 6 months.

In the meantime I have updated the design of the brass bushings and have started selling them in Germany. I know forums are not the place for commercial posts, but maybe it helps someone stuck without the funds for a new manifold.

By the way, regarding
      Quote Originally Posted by Gairo View Post
      The build-up of tar and soot causes the flaps to stick. The bearings the flaps run in also wear due to uneven loading. Eventually, the excess load on the operating rod and ball joints cause them to become oval shaped and loose, leading to the operating rod coming adrift.

Due to the wear in the bearings, pressurised air from the manifold can escape, along with soot and oil mist, leading to reduced performance and also an oily mess on the manifold.
      I noticed the same, a tar-like substance around the swirls especially on the cylinders on the right (i.e. downstream from the EGR, which is also on the right). But since I got the swirls moving again I have hardly seen any tar escape through the swirls, and also it looks like there is not much blow-by even though the swirls easily have 1-2mm axial play. Therefore my assumption is that the tar only builds up and gets squeezed out when the swirls are de-activated due to the rod come off, because then the tar can't escape past the swirls and the increased manifold boost pressure caused by closed swirls will squeeze the tar out through the swirl bearings.
      Of course axial play of the swirls is not so nice, but it has not affected performance or fuel consumption, so unless the play is too severe I don't think it's worthwhile replacing the manifold for that reason.

Hi mate you have to be a paid member or trader to be selling or advertising on our forum you can become a member or i will have to remove the post kind regards.

Sorry, I wasn't aware of this option, but have now registered to leave advertising posts .

Quote Originally Posted by swirlrepair View Post
      Sorry, I wasn't aware of this option, but have now registered to leave advertising posts .
      Great news !

Welcome matey

Ok thanks pal good to have you on board I wasent beeing funny before its just forum rules pal nice 1 and welcome to wmvx

Hy, Gairo. this is my first question on this forum, but i am very interested in this error P2279-11 Intake system air leak detected, becouse i have it too.I have an Opel Astra H Z19DTH, i`ve checked the swirl flaps and they look ok , no oil leeks near them. Insted i found that the Map senzor plastic that covers the litle senzor inside the manifold is broken just above his gasket. Do you think this could be one of the things that can give me the "P2279-11 Intake system air leak detected" error? Or what else can give me this error?

Thanx.