Pecky's Vauxhall Decoder

Thread: CIM failure?

Vehicle
    Vauxhall Signum

CIM failure?

Hi there looking for a bit of help or advice with regards to a 2.2L 2004 Vauxhall Signum.

Basically the car drives great apart from an intermittent electronics fault. This happens sometimes when driving or more commonly when the car is parked up and switched off.

Basically when driving the problem presents by a big fat spanner service signal presenting in the centre of the dash and then ABS, battery and engine warning lights all come on very quickly followed by all lights (in odometer) going out and losing all the dash instruments, indicator stalks, windscreen wipers etc from the column.

The car will continue to drive with no loss of power to the engine. As soon as you stop the car you can't then restart as the ignition signal is not being accepted. The car will then sit for 2-12 hours and then work again. Sometime the same error occurs (without the warning lights of course) and the car simply will not start in the first place. Obviously a massive pain, so did some research and found it was likely to be the CIM unit that was failing so have taken to Vauxhall to confirm which they now have.

There diagnosis was new CIM as a start and then inspect further to ensure problem was solved, however this was for a pretty large sum of money and frankly with other work I need to complete completely uneconomical.

Basically I was wondering on the off chance that anyone out there had a cheaper solution to maybe try prior to selling for parts or whether its best to get rid and get a new car. Or whether maybe someone could give me some pointers to replace the unit myself and find a kind soul who could recode when into the car (as I believe it won;'t just slot in and work).

Thanks

Rich

• Advertising

advertising
      Diagnostics.org.uk
      has no influence
      on advertisments
      that are displayed by
      Google Adsense

Vehicle
      Peugeot Expert
      Could be bad conection at abs plug common on these cars try cleaning that connector if it wont help than defo its cim if going to replace get it from 2005+ car tech2 reset or with code and keys. Whete are you located?

Vehicle
      Peugeot Expert
      Poole 3 hours from me around 1.5 from sarah and around 1h from pecky so would advice going to pecky just pm him on whats needed and make booking

Vehicle
      Vectra
      Even if it is the CIM at fault, you can pick up a tech2 cleared one for about £40 ish.. Someone would probably charge about £40-£60 to fit and program it in using your original keys

Vehicle
      Vauxhall Signum
      Thanks for the help guys, Dom will take a look at the abs plug tomorrow and see if that helps. If not will definitely get in touch about replacing the unit as sounds like can be done a lot cheaper than the garage quoted me!!

Vehicle
      Peugeot Expert
      Yep defo cheaper last what i did was £25 for parts from scrap yard (cim with key & speedo to get code) as was doing for mate took just tenner for job

Vehicle
      vectra c 2.0 DTI
      I have a CIM module to sell and is reset with Tech 2

Enviado desde mi LENNY2 mediante Tapatalk