Pecky's Vauxhall Decoder

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Vehicle
    Corsa D 1.2 16V

Delphi Grundig CD30 MP3

Hi,

Electronic engineering student here trying to squeeze in one last project before heading off to uni... I've pulled my head unit from my Corsa, and stripped it to see what I can improve.
    I've spent quite a few hours hopelessly searching for a service manual, schematic or even a datasheet for this box, but so far found nothing, however I did manage to get a pinout for the Philips SAF7730HV onboard by finding another radio with the same IC and writing it out - I've attached what I've made/found in case anyone's interested:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAF7730HV.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	858
    SAF7730HV.txt

Funnily enough, there's not only pins there for stereo aux input, but also for an SD card. Clearly the manufacturers haven't implemented this, and it might be a bit much to try and do so, but it just goes to show how much potential is in these things.

As my Corsa is an '07 plate, I've been cursed with the 26/06/2006 model of the unit, which unfortunately means no stereo aux in, although I have found a way to get aux in from a mono source - if anyone's interested I'll post up some nice pictures and make a tutorial at a later date, the solution's a bit of a hack at the moment. In the hope that the newer models with the actual aux-in pins share most of the circuit as my model, I've bagged a radio off eBay from a '10 plate, which I'll be opening up the same as I've already done to mine.

My theory is that the newer model (??/10/2006 onwards) will have the same PCB and components as the 06/2006 model, albeit more of them will be populated, as there are a couple spots for ICs which are empty and plenty of solder points for passive components. If this is the case, enabling the aux in on the older models will be a case of soldering on some components, and flashing the NEC processor and the EEPROM, and this is where I need some help.

I've managed to source a decent datasheet for the NEC processor, and secure a couple EEPROM dumps, however now I'm stumped. In a hex editor, I can make out some software dates, code indexes, saved radio station names, etc. but there seems to be a lack of consistency between dumps, and I have no idea how to decipher the rest of the gibberish. As well as this, the lack of a proper schematic to help, I'm stuck spending hours with a multimeter doing continuity tests to try and map out traces and see what connects to where.

So this is where I have to ask - I'm aware that the administrator of this site has some software which can extract information from EEPROM dumps, but I'm not here to ask for it; I'm doing this as a challenge, and getting the answer without trying doesn't seem right to me. Plus, it's being used commercially so it would be unfair for me to ask for it anyway. Instead, I would very much appreciate if possible, some information about various offsets in the EEPROM dump, for things such as hardware info, security code, program/code/?? indexes, anything possible. As well as this, if anyone is kind enough to share the service manual for this radio (if it even exists that is...) I would very much appreciate it and it would be a great help for my project, along with whatever info there might be for the SAF7730HV.

Will post updates when I find things out.

Thanks for reading,
    Simon

• Advertising

advertising
      Diagnostics.org.uk
      has no influence
      on advertisments
      that are displayed by
      Google Adsense

Vehicle
      Insignia 2.0 Biturbo 4x4
      I've only found the Blaupunkt CD30 diagrams so far, will attach anyway in case it gives you some info.

With regards to the eeprom, it does take a bit of working out. You will need to work out the rest but the part number is simply a Hex-Dec of bytes 0x67, 0x68, 0x69, 0x6a

It was the challenge that made me want to work it out, so keep with it.
      Attached Files Attached Files
      Richard Peck
      www.diagnostics.org.uk

Availability & bookings here

Insignia 2.0 Bi-Turbo 4x4. AFL, Sport Leather Pack, Embedded Bluetooth, DAB, Navi 900, Infinity Sound, 20" Alloys, VXR Styling pack, Dual Climate, TPMS, Power fold mirrors, electric rear windows, Sight & Light Pack, Front & Rear Parking Sensors

Vehicle
      Corsa D 1.2 16V
      Thanks - I really appreciate the help!

Unfortunately I've already found the Blaupunkt manuals but they don't have enough in common with the Grundig radios to be used for tracing stuff out, but I'll probably just be working with the IC pinouts I have anyway.

Given the part number not making sense in one of the dumps, I have to assume it's corrupt which would explain why I was finding inconsistencies between the ones I had; I'll keep examining it.

Cheers for the support!

Simon

Vehicle
      ASTRA
      The philips IC is nearly the same that CD70 navi use. You can find CD70 navi modification guide on internet in order to enable aux in (wiring, passive components, differencial amplifier..). After you'll need a software uptade in order to enable Aux in source selection by pressing FM button and maybe Tech 2 can update the software.
      Attached Files Attached Files

Vehicle
      Insignia 2.0 Biturbo 4x4
      The only problem is that there is not a firmware update for the CD30 range, so someone would need to try and extract it from a CD30MP3 and flash it onto a CD30, so not as simple.
      Richard Peck
      www.diagnostics.org.uk

Availability & bookings here

Insignia 2.0 Bi-Turbo 4x4. AFL, Sport Leather Pack, Embedded Bluetooth, DAB, Navi 900, Infinity Sound, 20" Alloys, VXR Styling pack, Dual Climate, TPMS, Power fold mirrors, electric rear windows, Sight & Light Pack, Front & Rear Parking Sensors

Vehicle
      Corvette

SAF7730hv

Hello spman123, greetings from Brazil.

I am working on the repair of a navi unit from a 2009 Hummer H3 (Delphi GMT 345TNF), and I could identify that the main board of this factory radio has a short after the pin of the voltage regulator which is feeding the DSP (the same IC indicated by you, SAF7730HV/212, "a Dirana dual IF car radio/audio Digital Signal Processor NXP SAF7730HV/212").

I am also trying to find the datasheet and typical circuit, but no luck so far. The pinout you posted here is of great help, thank you. May I ask you the model of the "another radio with the same IC" you found and where to find schematics? I am looking for the specs of the resistors, capacitors and inductors that are around the SAF7730HV, so that I can compare and try to identify the source of the short.

I tried the technical support of NXP but the answer was that "The documents for SAF7730HV are not provided on the NXP website since the part is obsolete. Once the product is pulled out the devices are supported only till the warranty on the last shipped product expires. Did you order this part from any of our distributor? In which case they are setup to support the technical questions. I apologize for the inconvenience caused due to an obsolete part.". This is obviously bull shit. Before the discontinuance, they would probably answer that the datasheet was available only to approved developers, protected by confidentiality.

Vehicle
      astra mk5 1.7
      someone found how to activate aux ???

Vehicle
      Astra H
      How to download inserts?

Vehicle
      corsa
      will try and see

Vehicle
      Antata

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast