Pecky's Vauxhall Decoder

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zafira problems

Vehicle
    zafira B

Lightbulb Zafira problems

Hi everyone, I have a 58 reg zafira 1.9 diesel. last week my alternator pulley broke and chewed up the fanbelt. I have had a new alternator, timing belt and fanbelt fitted but ever since my car has been very hard to start. So I changed the glow plugs, serviced the vehicle and replaced the starter motor. Now the spanner light is always on and still the zafira is hard to start and when it does start it is juddering and the whole dashboard vibrates when I press the accelerator. I am at my wits end and my mechanic is now saying that it may be the manifold air pressure sensor.
    Have now replaced the sensor and still the light is on. The computer is not showing anY codes but the pedal trick is giving me the code ECN034028.
    Can anyone help me out please.

• Advertising

advertising
      Diagnostics.org.uk
      has no influence
      on advertisments
      that are displayed by
      Google Adsense

Vehicle
      N/A
      Hello
      Thats a Cam sensor fault (wrong cam shaft signal)

Check the keyway in the crankshaft pulley for damage, this will give you that fault code as the valve timing wont be correct.
      Martin

Vehicle
      zafira B
      Thanks for that information Martin.
      Does this mean that the camshaft may be damaged, or will it just be the sensor and finally could the replacement timing belt have been incorrectly fitted as it is after this that all the problems started.

Vehicle
      Astra H 1.7 diesel

Re: Zafira problems

Pretty certain from what you have said that the timing is out; for example on my 1.7 diesel, it takes 6 turns of the crank to get cams and pump sprocket to all sit on their timing marks. On the average petrol, there is no cambelt driven fuel pump and so just two turns of the crank between 'all lined up' conditions.

I'd say whip the covers off and have a look at it, set the engine to TDC and check the marks all line up. I haven't done a 1.9 so I don't know what type of locking kit is used - on mine bolts are used through the sprockets.

I can look it up for you if that would help - of course if you paid for the belt to be changed, you can ask the garage to verify it for you.

Ian.

Vehicle
      Peugeot Expert
      Does your timing belt went same time as fan belt if so can be damaged valves

Vehicle
      N/A
      No it means the bottom gear that goes onto the front of the crankshaft may no longer be aligned correctly on the keyway.
      Your timing marks may be spot on but the timing wont be correct.
      Double check the timing if its out correct it then then try the car again.
      If the timings spot on remove the bottom pulley and check the keyway that holds the lower gear on hasnt spun slightly.

Martin

Vehicle
      zafira B
      Quote Originally Posted by domtorredo View Post
      Does your timing belt went same time as fan belt if so can be damaged valves
      No my timing belt was changed as a precaution and was due in the next 6 months or so anyway. once all this was changed my engine sounds different and has been straining to start. I then changed the glow plugs and also the starter, still same problems. Most recently I changed the the sensor on top of the manifold at the suggestion of my mechanic. this got the light to go away but ten minutes later it was back. Now the code I am getting is ECN 034028.
      Thanks to Ian and Martin, your information is really helpful.

Vehicle
      Peugeot Expert
      Ok than check timming marks as suggested by other members turn it few times and check if marks maches can be slighty out

Vehicle
      zafira B
      I have been back to the garage and they have had my timing belt off and then redid it from scratch but still the problem exists. The pedal trick still shows code ECN 034028, however, when the mechanic attached his own computer/scanner to my vehicle he is getting code P100. He has checked all the pipes that are connected to the turbo but all are perfect. Even he is stumped.
      Could the 034028 be a historic code, could his machine be wrong..(it is a small one which fits into the palm of his hand). Is there a way to delete old codes from my vehicle. Or should I just bite the bullet and get Vauxhall to do the diagnostics?

Vehicle
      Peugeot Expert
      with trouble codes sometimes is nightmare as if you delete them sometimes they appear again straight away sometimes after few miles if you have opcom or friend who have one just clear trouble codes and see what will come back or not

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast