Pecky's Vauxhall Decoder

Vehicle
    Astra H 1.9 CDTI 150 SRI X Pack

Astra 1.9CDTI - potential problems?

Hi there!

Found this forum shortly after buying my Astra and have a few questions I hoped an expert may be able to answer.

As a bit of background, I recently bought 2006 Astra 1.9CDTI 150. I was really pleased with the car, as it seems to be the best value performance diesel hatch around - I do quite a bit of mileage and wanted something with some poke but with decent mpg, so it seemed like the perfect car.

Sadly, a week or so after buying I started to notice the dreaded gearbox whine. I took it back to the (Ford) dealer I bought it off, and they have confirmed the bearings are knackered and are in the process of getting the box replaced. They've now had the car a month and I miss it! The car has only covered 39K.

Anyway, my first worry is that the gearbox problem may well come back. Having worried about that, I did some googling about the car, and have read that the waterpump can fail after just 40K and cause the timing belt to fail, and have seen it recommended that pump, belts and pulleys are replaced every 40K i.e. now!
    Also, I have read that the swirl flaps can fail and get ingested and wreck the engine, also a massive worry.

So my questions are:
    Is the problem with the water pump/timing belt true? Do I really need to get them replaced? Is it costly?
    Is the problem with the swirl flaps that common? What can I do to check / prevent this?
    Are there any other things likely to start going wrong at 40K that need attention?

I'm not one for modding or fiddling with cars really. My last car was an old ford fiesta which was totally bomb proof, serviced once a year and went on forever. Is the Astra going to cause me a lot of hassle/expense? Or should I just get shot now pay the premium for a (dare I say it) Golf?

I love the car, but all the horror stories have panicked me a bit!

Any thoughts or advice would be really appreciated!

Robin

• Advertising

advertising
      Diagnostics.org.uk
      has no influence
      on advertisments
      that are displayed by
      Google Adsense

Vehicle
      Insignia 2.0 Biturbo 4x4
      Hi Robin,

Ever since I have had an astra from MK4 to Mk5, over 7 years, I too have always heard that the waterpump will fail. I did over 250,000 miles in those years and never had a problem with mine. Doing all the works I do on Astras, I've not met anyone who has had one go on them either. I've read of a couple, but not too sure on the mileage or circumstances. Personally the water pump never bothered me. If you are concerned do a cambelt change and pump at the same time.

Swirl flaps can be common, the design was revised in 2008. They jam which causes the actuator rod to pop off which stops them opening and closing. Don't worry, they don't break off and go into the engine. On my 06 CDTi my rod popped off and I drove the car for 40,000 miles with it off, I only replaced it when i sold the car. The only thing you can do is get your hands dirty and clean the EGR valve regularly https://tech2.guru/astra-h-cleaning-egr-valve-1-9cdti/ as this will reduce the crap going through the swirly flaps.

If the car has done 40K since 2006, then it may be short journeys, which does contribute to the build up of soot in the EGR.

The gearbox oil is never changed, so it is always advisable to change it regularly with the service. The oil is only £30 so a worthwhile investment. The bearing that fails is on the same shaft as 1st, 2nd, 5th & 6th, I avoided accellerating hard in those gears and my gearbox remained sound.

Enjoy the car and just respect it, rag it around like you stole it and it will break, but then dare I say it would the golf.
      Richard Peck
      www.diagnostics.org.uk

Availability & bookings here

Insignia 2.0 Bi-Turbo 4x4. AFL, Sport Leather Pack, Embedded Bluetooth, DAB, Navi 900, Infinity Sound, 20" Alloys, VXR Styling pack, Dual Climate, TPMS, Power fold mirrors, electric rear windows, Sight & Light Pack, Front & Rear Parking Sensors

Vehicle
      Astra H 1.9 CDTI 150 SRI X Pack
      Hi Pecky,

Thanks for the very quick reply! You have settled some of my fears about the car. I've seen your guide on cleaning the egr and will have a go when I get the car back. I'll change the gearbox oil regularly too, although as the box will be new I guess it won't want doing for a while.

On another subject, where are you based? I'm quite interested in getting cruise control fitted! Also need a towbar if you do that sort of thing?

Robin

Vehicle
      Zafira B 1.9cdti
      Hi. I own Zafira with the same engine. The swirl flaps are the problem. To keep them nice, you can put blanking plate on egr.
      Water pump is ok, if you replace with cambelt every 40 000 miles. Mine siezed at 60 000 miles.