Pecky's Vauxhall Decoder

Vehicle
    Astra Twintop 1.9cdti

Steering Angle Sensor Calibration - Security Code incorrect

Hi
    Interested to see your "Common Faults" page - my 6 speed M32 fell apart in just under 70000 miles - 2007 Twintop 1.9cdti 150
    Wish I'd found your site earlier !
    The gear box has been replaced and the car is back on the road but the ESP light is on permanently.
    Fault code B1012-00 Steering Angle Sensor not calibrated.
    The steering rack was removed to remove gearbox so I believe this is normal.
    The garage tried to sort it but the diagnostics needed the Security Code but would not accept the code on the car pass.
    They only tried it once because they think that if they get it wrong again - it may lock the ecu and make the car unusable.
    But I have no reason to think that the code is wrong and have just seen your link to field remedy 2390

Looked at it using my Opcom by going to Body - CIM - Diag block 3 :-
    (SAS = Steering Angle Sensor)
    SAS out of range - NO
    SAS - 0.00
    SAS offset - 128
    S Wheel AS - OK
    SAS calibrated - NO
    SAS invalid - NO
    Security code status - NOT ENTERED
    Security wait time - INACTIVE
    Security code reset counter - 1

First question - just in case it is the wrong code, is there a limited number of times the security code can be entered incorrectly ?
    (Opcom data shows there is a counter)

Second question - why could the code be incorrect - it's the correct car pass ?
    I'd really appreciate any help - I dare not enter the code again in case it locks the ecu.

• Advertising

advertising
      Diagnostics.org.uk
      has no influence
      on advertisments
      that are displayed by
      Google Adsense

Vehicle
      Insignia 2.0 Biturbo 4x4
      Hi,

The code is correct so don't worry about the code being wrong.

You need to get the steering angle sensor in the correct position first and calibrate it.

Only when the steering angle sensor is correct and calibrated will it accept the code.
      Richard Peck
      www.diagnostics.org.uk

Availability & bookings here

Insignia 2.0 Bi-Turbo 4x4. AFL, Sport Leather Pack, Embedded Bluetooth, DAB, Navi 900, Infinity Sound, 20" Alloys, VXR Styling pack, Dual Climate, TPMS, Power fold mirrors, electric rear windows, Sight & Light Pack, Front & Rear Parking Sensors

Vehicle
      Astra Twintop 1.9cdti
      Many thanks for the fast response
      I'll try that at the weekend

Vehicle
      Astra Twintop 1.9cdti
      Quote Originally Posted by pfj View Post
      Many thanks for the fast response
      I'll try that at the weekend
      Hi Pecky
      I never did put that ESP light out - when I saw it involved deactivating the airbag etc. I ignored it.
      But I intend to have a go tomorrow having checked on steering wheel removal etc.
      Just one question from a novice reading field remedy 2390 :
      Will the meaning of "adjust the middle position of the CIM" be obvious once I can see it ?
      Don't know what to expect
      Cheers pfj

Vehicle
      Insignia 2.0 Biturbo 4x4
      Don't have a photo to show you, but yes it is fairly obvious. There are 2 triangle alignment marks printed on the CIM and some instructions in the bottom right corner telling you how to centre it.
      Richard Peck
      www.diagnostics.org.uk

Availability & bookings here

Insignia 2.0 Bi-Turbo 4x4. AFL, Sport Leather Pack, Embedded Bluetooth, DAB, Navi 900, Infinity Sound, 20" Alloys, VXR Styling pack, Dual Climate, TPMS, Power fold mirrors, electric rear windows, Sight & Light Pack, Front & Rear Parking Sensors

Vehicle
      Astra Twintop 1.9cdti
      Hi Pecky
      Many thanks for your help - finally put the light out after some fiddling with Opcom - not quite straightforward with my Opcom / software

Notes for others in similar position :
      Removed airbag and steering wheel following the usual precautions [ disconnected battery -ve for 5 min ]
      The car had been driven many miles so I knew the ribbon was OK (horn & switches all worked) and the marks were within 3mm - so I just moved the centre rotor of the CIM to align the 2 triangles
      - not easy to move - seemed to be held somehow
      Once everything was back together, Opcom eventually turned out the ESP light but not first or second time
      When it worked I had done the following :
      Steering wheel and wheels straight ahead
      Opcom Diagnostics
      Astra-H
      Body
      CIM (Steering Column Module)
      Measuring block 3
      Steering Angle Sensor offset - set to 0.00 by slightly moving steering wheel [ don't know if this is necessary ]
      Back to CIM screen
      Programming
      Security code
      Entered code from card issued with vehicle - accepted [ before centralising CIM - would not accept this number so Pecky was spot-on ]
      Back to programming screen
      Steering angle calibration - still showed Steering Angle calibrated - No
      Chose Activate and waited
      Eventually showed Steering Angle calibrated - Yes
      I then deleted ALL fault codes [ first time I only deleted the fault codes in the CIM module and light stayed on ]
      The ESP light then came on with ignition as normal and went out after a few seconds

Passed MOT this morning - Relief !
      Also, suggest that you look on ebay to see what a CIM looks like if you don't already know
      Thanks again
      pfj

Vehicle
      ASTRA H
      Hi I'm new to the forum,hoping someone can help? I'm currently working on a 2007 Astra that has failed the MOT due to the traction control light being on in the dash. I have one fault in the ABS control unit C0460 steering angle sensor range performance. I have carried out the calibration of the steering angle sensor in the CIM but the fault code will not clear.
      I'm using a snap-on solus
      In the CIM live date I have the following;
      Steering angle sensor out of range NO
      Steering angle offset 1
      Steering wheel sensor calibrated YES
      Steering angle sensor invalid NO
      If anybody has any hints or tips they would be very much appreciated thanks Allister

Vehicle
      Astra H
      Hell everyone. I have almost the same issue too. ESP light is on.

I have removed cim in order to fix horn issue. Horn is fine right now. On the other hand, ESP light is on, since i had changed the position of white cogwheel in cim. Now I got it corrected. I am supposed to calibrate Steering Wheel Angle Sensor. I have been working on it for a couple of days with OPCOM.

My question is why cim still remember its value , it keeps saying Steering angle sensor out of range YES
      Steering angle offset 128, although i have left the car without battery for about 2 days. Radio stations are also alive. They were lost at the beginning when I first turned the key on, but later on, they came all back! Only date & time settings are affected. Second time i removed battery and nothing changed. I also measured 0.34 volt on the car lighter even one hour passed from removing the battery. What is wrong here? What am I supposed to do exactly?

By the way can anyone please explain what PFJ means by " Once everything was back together, Opcom eventually turned out the ESP light but not first or second time". O could not find a way of turning off Esp via OPCOM before steering angle sensor calibration. I will appreciate if someone tells me exactly what to do step by step.