My Vectra C has problems with the (automatic) Easytronic transmission. First of all: I checked the unit for fault codes, none were present. The car has had a big maintenance where the clutch has been replaced, directly after I bought it. I can’t comment on the state before because I have no experience with it.

These are the issues I’m encountering:

• A ‘banging’ clutch, most of the time. Happens mostly between neutral and gears 1 – 3, but occasionally in higher gears, be it more subtle. The rest of the times it seems to switch gears without issue.
  • Occasionally, it takes time to go from ‘R’ or ‘N’ to ‘A’, with the respective letter blinking a while before it switches. Sometimes it plainly refuses to switch and reverts to the mode it was coming from. This latter is rare, but it happens sometimes.
  • The switch from gear 2 – 3 is harsh, going into the 3000+ RPM territory before it actually switches over. This happens nearly always, only sometimes it switches over around 2500RPM, as it should. That means it makes more noise driving through streets with low-speed limits then it should.
  • Now a more severe problem: when going onto the highway, especially on inclined surfaces, I can’t make speed fast. When I try to (hit the gas pedal deeper), the clutch will slip, going into 3000+ RPM again without generating much traction. I have to brake again and very, very slowly build up speed. We are talking 10 to 20 seconds for an additional 20 to 30km/h. With traffic moving fast around you, not exactly a joy. It happens less on (mostly) flat services, although I also encounter the problem there.

The car had 74564 miles (120.000 km) on the counter when I bought it, which leads me to believe it spent most of the time in a shed (the outside looks too good for it to be parked outside all the time).

What do you think might be the culprit?